Girls on the Run of NOVA is a 501(c)(3) organization with an operating budget of approximately $1.3M. Our organization is supported by program fees, individual and corporate donations, and sponsorships. Program fees are set by each Girls on the Run Council based on the following direct and indirect program expenses:
Direct Costs included in the program fee
Many of our costs are fairly straightforward, as they are the visible signs seen at every practice. These direct program costs include items given to every girl and every team:
- Healthy snacks at every practice
- A Girls on the Run sports sack for girls to carry their gear
- A 5K t-shirt
- A 5K medal
- Copies of our Curriculum for coaches
- Printed handouts and game pieces for every team
- A box of supplies for every team - lap counters, sticker and many items, including supplies for the practice 5K
- Race bibs for all the girls who run the 5K
Indirect costs included in the program fee:
Some of our expenses are not as obvious -- these expenses include items like:
- Background checks for all coaches, to insure the safety of all of our girls
- Insurance for our coaches and girls
- Our online registration system and the cost to keep our website operating
- 5K expenses, including signage for over 250 schools, miles and miles of steel barricade for our race course, police squads to insure safety at our 5K and many, many other expenses
- Costs associated with staff and coach training, and coaches materials
- Fees paid to GOTR International
- Commercial insurance
Each season, Girls on the Run of NOVA offers financial assistance to qualifying families and daughters of our volunteer coaches. We strive to provide financial assistance to as many girls as possible based on our available funds. Financial assistance is available for those qualified registrants who can demonstrate eligibility based on financial need.
As a non-profit organization, we're committed to being good financial stewards on behalf of our girls and their families. Our goal is to continue to deliver a quality program to the girls of northern Virginia, while responsibly utilizing funds where needed.
See our GuideStar profile to access more detailed financial information about Girls on the Run of NOVA, including our Form 990.